Sapcote, Leicester Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire (ii)

Sapcote Leicester Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built of stone in 1896 although the seating accommodation did not reach its peak of 450 until after 1901. In 1940 there was a chapel built of granite. Measuring 42 feet by 33½ feet, and seating 195 on the floor of the chapel and 155 in the all round gallery, a school hall built of brick and measuring 33 feet by 24 feet, an institute built of corrugated iron and measuring 35 feet by 24 feet, five vestries or class rooms. There were also seven cottages on the site. The school was free standing building to the west of the chapel with the cottages close by and the institute, also free standing was on the east side. An image on the chapel website depicts a modern entrance and there was a substantial refurbishment of the premises in 2013 and the chapel continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship.
Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit 1891/407, 1901/405, 1911/375, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/691 (Hinckley, Stockwell Head, Circuit)
Sapcote Methodist Church (hinckleymethodistcircuit.org.uk)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *