Sutton Cheney Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Almost every source gives a different date for the construction of Sutton Cheney Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. They range from 1815 to 1836. What is certain is that application was made to the Chapel Committee for permission to build a chapel costing £98 in 1819-20 and that by 1855 building work had cost £200. From 1851 to 1831 the seating capacity ranged from 78 to 97, 50 free and 45 lettable in 1851, 48 free and 30 lettable in 1931. The chapel appears to have been closed by 1940.

Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD88 Chapel/Trust Schedules, 1855, Hinckley Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD58 Applications to the Chapels Committee for permission to build, extend or sell Chapels, 1817 – 1830, Z5
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit 1873/328, 1881/379, 1891/407, 1901/405, 1911/375, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931/385

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *