Hinckley Stockwell Head Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1878. In 1941 it was reported that the chapel measured 65 feet by 50 feet and, including the choir stalls, an all round gallery. There was also a school hall (60 feet by 27 feet), a vestry, eight classrooms and an onsite caretaker’s house. The chapel has now been demolished and replaced by a large building.
In 1881 it reported seating for 1000. Subsequently this figure fluctuated between 850 and 960. In 1930 there were 700 lettable and 260 free. The increase from the 850 reported in 1911 was attributed to
(a) placing drop seats along the gangway on both sides of the gallery
(b) stepping and seating the large triangular spaces in the two far corners of the gallery (hitherto without pews)
(c) enlarging the choir accommodation by bringing forward the curve of the gallery immediately behind the pulpit, and setting further back the organ
In 1940 the chapel had seating for 960 persons in pews and there was one schoolroom and nine other rooms.
The chapel stood at the junction of Stockwell Head and New Building.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit 1881/379, 1891/407, 1901/405, 1911/375, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/691 (Hinckley, Stockwell Head, Circuit)