Long Clawson Central Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Long Clawson Wesleyan chapel was built of brick and stone in 1840. The cumulative cost of the buildings to 1860 was £1166. In 1851 it provided 150 free and 250 other sittings, 400 in all. By 1873 this had risen to 482. This figure drifted downwards to 334 in 1911 and 289 in 1940. 149 sittings were on the floor of the chapel which measured 41 feet by 33 feet and 140 in the gallery which was 18 feet in depth at the back of the chapel and 8 feet at the sides. All the seating was in pews. There was also a schoolroom 32 feet by 24 feet and four vestries or classrooms.
The chapel was situated on the north side of the village street, east of the parish church (Grid ref SK724274)
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/3/9
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1873/499, 1881/565, 1891/612, 1901/625, 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
Whites Directory for Leicestershire, 1868, p 345
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *