Great Dalby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Great Dalby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in1846. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £440. In 1851 it provided 80 free and 78 other sittings, 158 in all. Later returns gave similar figures until 1911 when the seating had fallen to 138 (conversion to pews?). In 1931 all 131 seats were free. In 1940 the chapel, which measured 30½ feet by 27¼ feet, seated 130 persons in pews. There was also a schoolroom, 30 feet by 13¾ feet but no other rooms.
The chapel was situated on the northwest side of the village street a little to the south of the village green (Grid ref SK 743143)
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/1/13
White’s Directory of Leicestershire, 1863 p 602
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1873/499, 1881/565, 1891/612, 1901/625, 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *