Asfordby Wesleyan Chapel, Leicestershire

Asfordby Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1830/5. Application had been made to the Chapel Committee for permission to build a chapel costing £60 in 1818-19 but it is uncertain whether it was ever built. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £110. In 1851 the chapel provided 60 free and 46 other sittings In 1873 and 1881 the chapel provided seating for 124 persons. The chapel probably closed when the new chapel opened on 1885.
The chapel was situated on the south side of road forming the northern boundary of the grounds of Asfordby Hall.

Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD58 Applications to the Chapels Committee for permission to build, extend or sell Chapels, 1817 – 1830
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/2/9
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD88 Chapel/Trust Schedules, 1855, Melton Mowbray Circuit
White’s Directory of Leicestershire, 1863 p 594
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1873/499, 1881/565,
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)
OS 25 inch Leicestershire XIX 7 1883/4

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *