Somerby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (ii), Leicestershire

Somerby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was opened in September in 1842. The total cost of the project was £200 (This looks like an estimate, perhaps in advance of the full cost being known) of which the land had accounted for £10. The chapel measured 31 feet by 17½ feet and accommodated 180 hearers. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £177.7.8d. In 1873 the chapel provided seating for 117 persons but hereafter the reported capacity declined to 96 in 1911. All seats were free by 1931
The chapel appears to have been closed by 1940. Probably as a result of a merger with the Primitive Methodists in the village. Its location has not been established.

Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, Methodist Conference Archive Register of applications to build Nos 1804-2166, 7 Dec. 1842 – 9 July 1846 No 1826
Whites Directory for Leicestershire, 1868, p 374
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Oakham Circuit 1873/500, 1881/566 1891/613, 1901/626
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *