Diseworth Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Diseworth Wesleyan Methodist chapel
Philip Thornborow, 2022

This neat red brick chapel was opened in 1887, when Hall Gate was the main road through the village. The construction of the M1 has led to other arrangements. It could seat 130, but is now converted into a private house.

It replaced a previous chapel built in 1799. There was a congregation of 50 meeting in 1829. The minister reported in 1851 that the original chapel seated 132 ((7 in free seats). On 31st March 1851 that chapel was attended by 37 people and 26 Sunday School scholars in the afternoon, and 111 people in the evening. By 1873 it was thought the chapel could seat 90.


Myles, William. A Chronological History of the People Called Methodists, of the Connexion of the late Rev. John Wesley; from their Rise, in the Year 1729, to their Last Conference, in 1812. 4th ed. London: printed at the Conference-Office … by Thomas Cordeux, 1813 p433

ROLLR, QS 95/2/1/71

TNA, HO 129/444/1/17

Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875

Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.