Holwell Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Holwell Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built of stone in 1877. From 1881 to 1901 it seated 150 but this had fallen to 122 by 1911. Could this indicate a conversion from forms to pews? In 1940 the chapel measured 44 feet by 24 feet and seated 100 persons in pews. There was also one schoolroom (22 feet by 12½ feet) but no other rooms.
The chapel was situated on the north side of the village street directly opposite the parish Church (Landranger 129 SK737237)

Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1881/565, 1891/612, 1901/625, 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *