Wesleyans had been meeting in Claybrook as early as 1836 but the cause failed. It was revived in the 1870s when meetings were held at the house of Mr John Wright and, in the summer, in a barn owned by Mr Ball. Eventually a site in the middle of the village was bought for £80. It was expected that a chapel and school would cost about £440. The foundation stone for the new building was laid in August 1882 and the chapel was opened later that year. The seating capacity was around 120-126. In 1931 60 seats were lettable and 66 were free, all in pews. In 1940 the accommodation consisted of a chapel measuring 30½ feet by 21½ feet, a schoolroom 21½ feet by 14 feet, and no other rooms.
The chapel stood on the west side of the village street, a little to the north of the Royal Oak
Leicester Journal 19.8.1882 p.7
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit 1873/328, 1881/379, 1891/407, 1901/405, 1911/375, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/691 (Hinckley, Stockwell Head, Circuit)