Loughborough, Leicester Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Leicester Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1828/9. It was a neat red brick building which cost £2000 and seated 1200. In 1850 the chapel it had 390 free and 630 other sittings but by1873 it only provided seating for 720 (380 lettable, 200 free and 140 for children, on the basis of 18 inches per sitting) persons. The premises were described in detail in 1940. The chapel measured 55 feet by 52 feet and seated 350 on the ground floor. There was also a gallery of 2200 square feet all round the interior which seated a further 350. All seating was in pews. There were three vestries, one of 624 square feet and two of 150 square feet. The school which was situated on the opposite side of Leicester Road measured 50 feet by 30 feet. There was also a guild room, 28 feet by 22 feet and a clubroom, 21 feet by 11½ feet but it is not clear which site they were on. The chapel was subsequently closed and the buildings demolished.

The National Archives HO129/415/1/3/4 1851 Ecclesiastical census
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust schedules, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873/594/,
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940, 697
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M 207/28 Accommodation return, 1873
W White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1846, p276
Site visit 17.4.2019
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2/602 Wesleyan Accommodation returns, 1931

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *