Ashby Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1899. The configuration of the site suggests it was intended to conform to a common pattern of development (eg Carlisle, Currock Road and Hull, Derringham Bank) whereby the building to be erected first would be at the back of the site and be dual purpose in the short term. When a chapel was erected on the land fronting the main road was built it would become a school in accordance with the plaque (Image 4) on its façade. In the event the chapel was never built and its site became a car park (Image 1). In 1940 the chapel measured 50 feet by 34 feet and seated for 350 on forms. The schoolroom was 20 feet square and there were four other rooms. Subsequently the Methodists ceased to use the building and it is now occupied by the Salvation Army.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2Wesleyan Accommodation returns, 1931/595
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD1Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940/697
Site visit 17.4.2019