Earl Shilton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1822 application having been made to the Chapel Committee for permission to build a chapel costing £250 in 1822. In 1851 the chapel provided 177 free and 23 other sittings, 200 in all. This figure had risen to 252 in 1873 and from 1881 was between 310 and 335. What had caused there increases in accommodation? When the new chapel opened in 1905 the old chapel became the Sunday school.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD58 Applications to the Chapels Committee for permission to build, extend or sell Chapels, 1817 – 1830 No, 72
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129.4126.96.36.199
25 inch OS sheet XXXVI. 9, 1886-8 and 1914-6