Griffydam, Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built before 1778. In 1789 land adjacent to the chapel was purchased for use as a graveyard. A good, well illustrated account of the graveyard by the Griffydam Village History Group may be found here (The Graveyard | Griffydamhistory). Information may also be found here: Cemetery_Audit_B-2.pdf (coleorton.org.uk) In 1823 application was made to the Chapel Committee for permission to enlarge the chapel at a cost of £150. In 1851 the chapel provided 200 free and 200 other sittings. By 1860 neither the date nor the cost of construction of Providence/Griffydam Wesleyan Methodist Chapel were known. From 1873 to 1931 the seating capacity ranged from 320 to 350. In 1940 the accommodation consisted of a chapel, 42 feet by 30 feet which seated 222 plus a further 100 in the gallery which measured 42 feet by 9 feet. A school hall, 30 feet by 18 feet, and two vestry/classrooms. The chapel closed in 2005 and was subsequently converted to residential use. The graveyard remains open for burials.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD58 Applications to the Chapels Committee for permission to build, extend or sell Chapels, 1817 – 1830 No. 139
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/414/3/9 (Ashby de la Zouche Union)
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Ashby de la Zouche Circuit 1873/511, 1891/618, 1901/637, 1911/602, 1931/599
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/477 (Ashby de la Zouche, St Johns Circuit)