Burbage, Windsor Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (ii), Leicestershire, LE10 2EF

Burbage, Windsor Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1867. In 1873 the seating capacity was reported to be 331. This figure had risen to 453 ten years later (the insertion of a gallery perhaps?) before settling at 390. Ten years later this figure had risen to 434, 176 on the floor of the chapel and 258 in the gallery. All the seating was in pews. These figures are odd in that it is quite unusual for a gallery to seat more than the ground floor and the jump from ten years earlier needs explanation. In 1940 the accommodation consisted of a chapel measuring 45 feet by 32 feet with an all round gallery, two school halls (72 feet by 21 feet and 45 feet by 20 feet) and three vestries or class rooms. There were also two cottages about 30 yards from the chapel. The chapel continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship. There is an image of the chapel on this website. Find Us (hinckleymethodistcircuit.org.uk)

Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit 1873/328, 1881/379, 1891/407, 1901/405, 1911/375, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/691 (Hinckley, Stockwell Head, Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *