Burton is on the north Leicestershire Wolds, about 4 miles east of Loughborough. In 1930 it was reported that “It is believed that services were held in a cottage occupied by Mr. Hetterley, until the chapel was erected in 1844.” The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was actually built in 1809 on land ‘fronting Town Street’ and measuring ten yards by nine yards. John Yeoman and John Blunt, both residents of Burton, who became trustees of the new Methodist Chapel in Wymeswold in 1802, along with Methodists from East Leake, were instrumental in founding the Methodist Chapel in Burton on the Wolds.
The chapel was enlarged in 1846. On 31 March 1851, the afternoon and evening services were attended by 30 and 40 people respectively, and 15 people attended an afternoon Sunday School. The chapel had 100 free and 25 other seats.
157 sittings were recorded in 1873, 82 in 1940, and 75 in 1970. The membership of the chapel never exceeded 20, although it was regarded as healthy in 1930. The chapel closed in 1998. There is a photograph of the interior at that time in this document
Grid reference SK592213
Loughborough Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. Notes respecting chapels, schools and other trust properties … presented to the Quarterly Meeting held on Saturday, 15th March, 1930
TNA, HO 129/415/74
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns 1970. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1972