Rothley, Owl/Howe Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built around 1825. In 1851 it provided 72 free and 18 other sittings. In 1873 the chapel provided seating for 86 persons. A further 60 sittings making a total of 140 were provided by an extension completed in 1916. It would seem that a gallery was added in the 1930s since by 1940 there were 150 sittings on the floor of the chapel (33 feet eight inches by 24 feet) and 48 in the gallery (24 feet by 9 feet eight inches) all the seating was on forms. There was also a vestry.
It would seem that the original chapel had the almost square footprint and hipped roof typical of its time. Evidence of the 1916 extension is to be found in the brick surrounds and glazing of the windows on the north and east sides, in the door case and above all in the south side. Here the brick quoins contrast with the masonry quoins on the north side and the central section is entirely of its time. The brick name panel is of special interest because the same arrangement was used to make the crosses on the front extension of Knightthorpe Road Chapel in Loughborough and inside Northampton Road Chapel in Market Harborough. (www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/content/chapels/leicestershire-2/l-r/knightthorpe_primitive_methodist_mission_loughborough)
The building continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship.
The National Archives TNA HO129/416/3/1/4 ecclesiastical census
JRL Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873, p 57
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2Wesleyan Accommodation returns, 1931/597John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD1Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940/676
597OS 25 inch XXV 6 1883-4
Site visit 26.10.2018