Leicester, Bishop Street WM Chapel, Leicestershire

Leicester,Bishop Street WM chapel, facade, 23.12.16
G W Oxley
Leicester,Bishop .Street WM Chapel, Leicestershire, date plaque, 23.12.16
G W Oxley

Comments about this page

  • Bishop Lane Chapel was built in 1815. In 1851 it had 296 free and 1166 other sittings. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £4800. In1868 it had seating for 1600. In 1873 the chapel provided seating for 1260 persons. Schools were erected on a site east of the chapel in 1873 (See separate page). In 1940 the chapel had seating for 900 in pews and there was one schoolroom and seven other rooms. It continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship.
    Sources
    TNA HO129/417/1/13
    Leicestershire etc. Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
    Whites Directory for Leicestershire, 1868, p 177
    Wesleyan seating returns, 1873, p 57
    Leicestershire etc. Record Office 23D67 Leicester building plans no 4062
    Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940
    Site visit 16.3.2019

    By GW Oxley (17/03/2019)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone