John Wesley preached in Loughborough in 1770, 1780 and 1783, and in Mountsorrel in 1783 and 1787 (it rained on both occasions), but although he must have ridden through Quorndon to get from one to the other in 1783 the first chapel is not recorded until 1819. A series of photographs collected by the Quorn Village On-line Museum (www.quornmuseum.com) illustrate the first century of Quorn Methodism.
A chapel was built on High Street in 1822. From this photograph taken in about 1910 http://www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=873 it appears to have been typical of its time.
Thomas Ravens, the Steward, reported that on 31st March 1851 (the Religious Census) the morning attendance had been 25 adults and 52 Sunday School scholars, whilst in the evening 54 adults and 27 scholars were present. There was space for 200.
The 1873 Returns of Accommodation list Quorndon as seating 165.
In 1906 the Joyful News Mission, based at Cliff College, sent out a Gospel Car to re-evangelise the village, as can be seen in this photograph http://www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=1440 of the Wesleyan Home Missions Gospel Car No.1 “Faith” parked in what are now the Memorial Gardens in the centre of Quorn. The Mission seems to have been successful, as evidenced by these photos of the stone laying ceremony for a new chapel on 1 April, 1907 Chapel, http://www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=73 and the Chapel opening on 25 Sept 1907 http://www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=1735
The Joyful News Mission was founded by Rev Thomas Champness (1832-1905) and he was remembered as ‘the friend of village Methodism’ as one of the foundation stones still proclaims. Another stone laid on 1 April 1907 is in memory of Rev Marshall Randles (1826-1904), who was President of the Wesleyan Methodist Conference in 1896. His ministry took place mainly in the Wesleyan theological college at Didsbury in Manchester, and he does not seem to have served anywhere near Quorn. Perhaps someone will know what connection he had with the village.
The new chapel of 1907 seated 300, but by 1956 the membership was 28. As nothing but the churchyard separated the Methodist Chapel and parish church, the two congregations merged into a United church in the 1980s.
Although a new chapel had been built the old one had not been demolished, and both survived until 2005 when the site was redeveloped. An historic building impact assessment was carried out and the recommendation was for both buildings to be retained (Hurford, M & Finn, N, 2005, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Quorn: historic building impact assessment (Unpublished document). SLE244. Report is in ADS Library: 10.5284/1009626 – http://dx.doi.org/10.5284/1009626 )
In the event it was only the walls of the 1907 chapel that were retained.