Castle Donington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Clapgun Street

Castle Donington WM 1777

Castle Donington was the home of Selina, Countess of Huntingdon, and John Wesley visited her often. The first chapel was erected in 1770, according to Myles, and things must have gone well as it became the head of a Circuit in 1792.

There was a congregation of 180 in 1829, when the Quarter Sessions reported on Nonconformity in the county. In 1851 the minister reported that there were 296 free sittings and 292 others, giving accommodation for 588. There was a morning congregation of 211, with 176 in the Sunday School, 402 attended in the evening. According to the 1873 Wesleyan Chapel returns the chapel could seat 421.

During the nineteenth century a Wesleyan Day School occupied premises on the other side of the road.

A new, much larger, chapel in the Market Place was opened in 1906, and the Clapgun Street site  was redeveloped. Following the 1902 Education Act the County Council had taken over education in Castle Donington and the Wesleyan and Church of England schools were replaced with a brand new County school which opened on the site of the former chapel in 1910.

Sources:

Myles, William. A Chronological History of the People Called Methodists, of the Connexion of the late Rev. John Wesley; from their Rise, in the Year 1729, to their Last Conference, in 1812. 4th ed. London: printed at the Conference-Office … by Thomas Cordeux, 1813 p433

ROLLR, QS 95/2/1/71

TNA, HO 129/444/1/13

Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.