Halstead Wesleyan Methodist chapel

This small chapel stands beside the road between the village of Tilton on the Hill and the hamlet of Halstead, about 400 yards from both. It has always been known in Methodist circles as Halstead.

The land was leased in 1813 and the chapel has been developed since. The 1970 returns state it was built in 1837, whereas contemporary directories mention that it was extended in 1852 and 1862. The date stone is for 1868

In 1851 William Oliver, the Chapel Steward, reported that the chapel could seat 90. Three services were held on Sunday 31st March attracting congregations of 40 in the morning, 46 in the afternoon, and 26 in the evening. Which would have been most of the population of Halstead.

Methodist accommodation returns are for 150 in 1873, 100 in 1940 and 80 in 1970.

Although still marked on maps as a chapel, it would appear to have closed for worship in the last ten years.

Sources:

TNA, HO 129/410/18

Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875

Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947

Statistical returns 1970. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1972

Protestant Nonconformity in Tilton-on-the-Hill and Halstead, 1829-1916

 

Halstead Methodist Church

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.