Earl Shilton St John’s Wood Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1905 on land immediately to the east of the old chapel. The materials were brick and Hollington stone dressings. From 1911 to 1931 the seating capacity was reported to be 450 split between 346 lettable and 104 others.
In 1940 the accommodation consisted of chapel measuring 68 feet by 44 feet which seated 387 in pews all on the ground floor, three schoolrooms (51 feet by 30 feet, 32½ feet by 22 ½ feet and 34 feet by 23¼ feet), four vestries or class rooms and a four room caretaker’s house. The chapel continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit 1873/328, 1881/379, 1891/407, 1901/405, 1911/375, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/691 (Hinckley, Stockwell Head, Circuit)
Kelly’s directory of Leicestershire, 1928 p.79
25 inch OS sheet XXXVI. 9, 1914-6