Gaddesby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Gaddesby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1837. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £113. In 1851 the chapel provided 68 free and 69 other sittings, 137 in all. This figure fluctuated subsequently but in the decade ending in 1911 it fell to 80. In 1940 the chapel which measured 30 feet 24 feet had seating for 72 persons in pews. There was no schoolroom and no other rooms’
The chapel was situated in a prominent position on the west side of the back road to the west of the main village street (Grid ref SK 687131).
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/1/5
Whites Directory for Leicestershire, 1868, p 608
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, , 1873, p 57
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940, p164-5
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *