Mowsley Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire Grid ref SP 646888

Mowsley Wesleyan Chapel, south side, 3.11.2018
Mowsley Wesleyan Chapel, facade, 3.11.2018
Mowsley Wesleyan Chapel, name plaque, 3.11.2018

Mowsley Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was probably built in the 1890s. Initialy the seating provision was 100. This had fallen to 67 by 1940 when a mixture of pews and forms was in use. Perhaps the partial upgrading to pews had been at the expense of capacity. The building measured 32 feet by 16 feet and there were no galleries or other rooms. The ground plan appears to be fairly conventional with entrance (accessed from the side) in the centre of the gable flanked by two large windows. The decorative bargeboard and the heavy masonry arches over the windows add a distinctive note. Later the chapel was closed and now appears to be used in conjunction with neighbouring residential properties
Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1881104/, 1891/117, 1901/114, 1911/119
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD1Wesleyan Accommodation returns, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD1Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940/688
Site visit 3.11.2018

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone