Long Whatton Wesleyan Methodist Church

The story of Long Whatton Methodism is best read on the village website

The first chapel was erected in 1797, and by 1829 was attracting a congregation of 18. According to the minister in 1851 it could accommodate 119 (84 in free seats). The congregations on 31st March, 1851 were 44, with  22 in the Sunday School in the afternoon; and 88 in the evening.  By 1873 the accommodation was calculated as 106,

As the article on the village website states, the new chapel was built in 1912. It was double in size, accommodating 250. Celebrations were held to mark the centenary in 2012, but sadly the church closed in 2020. An attempt was made by the village to buy the premises, but as the photographs show these were unsuccessful and the site awaits a buyer.


Myles, William. A Chronological History of the People Called Methodists, of the Connexion of the late Rev. John Wesley; from their Rise, in the Year 1729, to their Last Conference, in 1812. 4th ed. London: printed at the Conference-Office … by Thomas Cordeux, 1813 p433

ROLLR, QS 95/2/1/72

TNA, HO 129/415/35

Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875

Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947


Long Whatton Methodist Church

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.