Sharnford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (iii), Leicestershire

Sharnford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (iii) was built in 1852. In 1873 it had seating for 211 persons. The seating accommodation drifted downwards thereafter so that by 1931 there were 80 lettable and 78 free sittings. By 1940 the chapel this figure had risen to 120 in the body of the chapel and 80 in the gallery, 200 in all. All the seating was in pews. The chapel measured 30 feet by 20 feet There was a gallery at the south end and an organ loft at the north. There was also a vestry 14 feet by 15 feet. The chapel continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship. There is an image of the chapel on this website. Find Us https://hinckleymethodistcircuit.org.uk/sharnford/

Sources
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873, p 37
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931/385
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/691 (Hinckley, Stockwell Head, Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this