Swannington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1790-1. In 1851 it provided around 100 free and 40 other sittings. This figure had risen to around 180 by the end of the century. The chapel probably closed when the new chapel opened between 1901 and 1911. It was probably the building marked as “chapel” on the map which was situated on a lane along the northern edge of the block to the north of that where the new chapel was built.
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/414/4/23-4 (Ashby de la Zouch Union)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Ashby de la Zouch Circuit 1873/511, 1891/618, 1901/637, 1911/602
OS 25 inch Leicestershire XVI 15 1901-3 and 1920-3