Normanton le (Lee) Heath Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Normanton le (Lee) Heath Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built of brick in 1820. According to the application to the chapel committee it was expected to cost £71. In 1851 it provided 70 free sittings. The capacity hardly changed between then and 1931. In 1940 the accommodation consisted only of the chapel which measured 20 feet by 15 feet and now seated only 40 on forms.
Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD58 Applications to the Chapels Committee for permission to build, extend or sell Chapels, 1817 – 1830 B8
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/414/1/6 (Ashby de la Zouche Union)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Ashby de la Zouche Circuit 1873/511, 1891/618, 1901/637, 1911/602, 1931/599
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Ashby de la Zouche Circuit Circuit, 1931/611
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/477 (Ashby de la Zouche, St Johns Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *