Medbourne Chapel was owned by the inhabitants. Initially it was used by the Independents. Then it passed to the Wesleyans. In 1851 the congregation resolved to become independent of conference and manage their own affairs. In 1857-8 the chapel was much improved at a cost of £100. In 1861 the Wesleyan Conference made an attempt to obtain possession of the building but this was successfully resisted and the congregation adopted the title of Independent Wesleyan and vested the chapel in trustees for the benefit of the people of Medbourne for ever.
White’s Directory of Leicestershire, 1863