Harby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

The chapel opened in October 1847. It measured 40 feet by 30 feet and cost £432. The land was a gift. In 1851 the chapel provided 190 free and 110 seats, 300 in all. This fell to 213 by 1873 and to 180 between 1901 and 1911 (could this change relate to a conversion from forms to pews?). It fell to 156 (in pews) between 1931 and 1940.
In 1940 the accommodation comprised a chapel measuring 38 feet by 29 feet and a schoolroom 28 feet by 20 feet. There were no other rooms.
The chapel was situated on the east side if the main road through the village. (Grid ref SK744310)
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/3/14
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, Methodist Conference Archive Register of applications to build Nos Nos 2167-3347, 23 September 1846 – 11 July 1850 No 3015, 17 May1847
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1873/499, 1881/565, 1891/612, 1901/625, 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *