Drayton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Drayton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built of stone at an unknown date. In 1873 the Chapel provided seating for 94 persons. This rose to 140 in 1881 but then fell to 70/75 until 1940 when the chapel measured 28 feet by 16 feet and seated 70 on pews or on forms which “rise from the floor in gallery form” as old day schools did. The school room measured 18 feet by 16 feet there were and no other rooms.

Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873/77, 1881/104, 1891/117, 1901/114, 1911/109, 1931/112 (Market Harborough Circuit)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2112 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places,(Market Harborough Circuit)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1/688 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940 (Market Harborough Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *