This large building was designed by local architect, Arthur Wakeley. The school facing Rothley Street opened in 1897 and the chapel fronting onto Belgrave Road in 1899. Perhaps the strangest thing about this building is the statue above the pediment. Statues on Methodist buildings are rare and this one seems quite out of place in an otherwise plain classical design. In 1940 the chapel had seating for 830 on chairs and there were three schoolrooms and fifteen other rooms. The chapel closed in 1974 and in 1977 the City Council acquired the building and converted it into a neighbourhood centre.
Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940
Public interpretation plaque
Site visit 30.8.2018