Osgathorpe Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire Grid ref SK499197

Osgathorpe Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1835. In 1851 it provided 100 free and 29 other sittings. By the seating capacity had fallen to nearer 100 where it remained until 1931.
In 1940 the chapel which measured 27 feet by 19 feet with a gallery 19 feet by 9 feet had seating for 80 persons on the ground floor and 28 in the gallery, all on forms. There were no other rooms.
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/414/3vh/11 (Ashby de la Zouche Union)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Ashby de la Zouche Circuit 1873/511, 1891/618, 1901/637, 1911/602, 1931/599
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/477 (Ashby de la Zouche, St Johns Circuit)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this