Oakthorpe Chapel Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1807. In 1851 it provided 150 free and 67 other sittings. By 1873 this figure had risen to 318 where it remained until 1931. In 1940 the accommodation consisted of a chapel measuring 42 feet by 36 feet and seating 240 persons in pews, and two schools 24 feet by 18 feet and 18 feet by 12 feet halls.
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/414/2/10 (Ashby de la Zouche Union)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Ashby de la Zouche Circuit 1891/618, 1901/637, 1911/602, 1931/599
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/477 (Ashby de la Zouche, St Johns Circuit)