Northgate Street Wesleyan Sunday school and mission was built in 1884-5. The site of 1274 square yards which contains eleven cottages cost £1274. The three cottages fronting Northgate Street were demolished but the eight in Old Mill Lane were retained. The new building was situated at the back of the site leaving space for the construction of “a more pretentious structure should additional accommodation be required
The building was in the gothic style and contained a large schoolroom, 45 feet by 35 feet which seated 400, two class rooms, an infants room and a vestry. The architects were Redfern and Sawday and Joseph Mason of Charnwood was the builder. The hopes for an extension on the front of the site were dashed when a few years later the Great Central Railway built its extension to London line over this piece of land. The cost of construction was expected to be about £1300. In 1927 the Northgate Mission was replaced by Epworth Hall in Blackbird Lane.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson: Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1891/610, 1901623, 1911/589
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931/596
Leicester Chronicle, 15.11.1884
25 inch OS Leicestershire XXI 10 1901-4