Barsby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Barsby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1826 and enlarged in 1840. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £180. In 1851 the chapel provided 72 free and 76 other sittings, 148 in all. This fell to 122 in 1873 and remained at roughly that level until 1931, the chapel provided seating for around 122 persons. In 1931 the 129 sittings were all free. By 1940, when the seating was in pews, this figure had fallen 90. The chapel measured 33 feet by 18¼ and the schoolroom 22½ feet. There were no other rooms.
The chapel was situated on the north side of the road leading eastwards from the crossroads at the centre of the village at its junction with a back road (Grid ref SK 698114)
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/1/4
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD88 Chapel/Trust Schedules, 1855
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1873/499, 1881/565, 1891/612, 1901/625, 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *