Thrussington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Thrussington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built of brick in 1839. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £165. In 1851 it provided 100 free and 40 other sittings, 140 in all. Subsequently the reported sittings fluctuated between 100 and 150. In 1931 there were 100, all free. In 1940, when the chapel was reported to measure 33 feet by 22 feet, they were all in pews. There were no other buildings.
It has not been possible to establish the location of this building but it could have been either of two marked “chapel” on a map of 1884. One was at the southern end of Regent Street, on the west side.. The other was on the west side of the village street just north of the fork between the roads to the south and the west.
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/416/1/7 (Barrow on Soar Union)
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1873/499, 1881/565, 1891/612, 1901/625, 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)
OS 25 inch maps, Leicestershire XIX 13, 1884 and 1901

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *