Hoby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Hoby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1832. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £116 In 1851 the chapel provided 112 free and 40 other sittings, 152 in all but by 1873 the number had fallen to about 90 and remained at that level until 1940. In 1931 they were all free. In 1940 the chapel measured 28 feet by 18½ feet and contained 13 pews and 6 forms. There were no school or other rooms.
The chapel was situated on the southwest side a side road going north westwards near its junction with the village street (Grid ref SK669175)
Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/2/12
Whites Directory for Leicestershire, 1868, p 607
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit 1873/499, 1881/565, 1891/612, 1901/625, 1911/591, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Melton Circuit, 1931/598
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *