Leicester, King Richard's Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel now known as St Andrews Methodist Church Centre, Leicestershire

Grid ref SK576044

The chapel occupies a corner site, The chapel and schoolroom front onto Glenfield Road. The side of the chapel faces Fosse Road. The schoolroom was built first but when the chapel was added it was given a new fa├žade, raised in height and given revised internal partitioning. The chapel was built in 1879. The architects were Redfern and Sawday. It was reached by steps leading to a porch on one side of which there was a vestry and on the other a tower containing stairs to the gallery. The chapel itself was almost square and there were two more vestries to the rear of the building

In 1940 the chapel had seating for 800 in pews and there were three schoolrooms and fourteen other rooms

Sources

Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940

OS 25 inch Leicestershire, XXXI.10, 1888

Site visit 13.04.2018

Leicester , King Richard Road Wesleyan Chapel, facade, 14 April 2018
G W Oxley
Leicester , King Richard Road. fromfrom west, 14 April 2018
G W Oxley
Leicester , King Richard Road Wesleyan Chapel, .Sundsy school, facade, 13 April 2018
G W Oxley
Leicester , King Richard Road Wesleyan Chapel, sunday school from from east, 14 April 2018
G W Oxley
Architectural drawing, from the 26th Annual Report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1880, p147

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone