Hinckley Stockwell Head Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built of brick before 1801. A plaque on the building states that John Wesley preached there in 1783. In 1851 it provided 140 free and 360 others, 500 in all. In 1873 it had seating for 694 persons (What had changed? A new gallery, perhaps?). The chapel probably closed after the new chapel opened in 1878
The general appearance of the building is consistent with the supposed date but as it had been rendered an examination of detail is not possible. The keystoned windows of the upper storey could well have been added by a later owner.
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/412/.2/.2/8 (Hinckley Union)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hinckley Circuit 1873/328
Site visit 2016/7