Workington, South William St. WM Chapel, Cumberland

Workington, South William Street Trinity WM Chapel (ii), Cumberland, CA14 2DZ

Grid ref NY002289

The chapel was built in 1890 and opened on 3 October. The architect was Charles W Bell. A new heating boiler and radiators installed in 1900. The tower was repaired at a cost of £320 in 1930-31.In 1891 and 1900 there were 630 lettable sittings, 250 free and 100 reserved for children. In 1940 it had 918 sittings on pews. There was a schoolroom and eleven other rooms. A kitchen costing £448 was installed in 1957-8 and further alterations and improvements costing £8093 in 1965-66. “Youth buildings” were erected in 1969-70 at a cost of £10863. In 1980 there were 660 sittings and seven other rooms and in 1991 150 sittings and three other rooms. The building was closed in recent years and the congregation joined with the URC whose more modest building stands opposite the disused Methodist structure. Some of the ancillary buildings at the rear of the site have been converted to residential use.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43 – 62

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM1/1/33

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99 and 1920-32

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Centenary Brochure, 1940 

Site visit 30.9.2017

 

Workington, South William Street, WM chapel, facade fron west, 30.9.2017
G W Oxley
Workington, South William Street, WM chapel, tower fron easte, 30.9.2017
G W Oxley
Workington, South William Street, WM chapel, west side, 30.9.2017
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *