West Hall WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY567678

 

West Hall WM chapel was built of stone in 1835 at a cost of £80. It was re-pewed in 1874. There were 73 sittings in 1873 and by 1940 there were 120 all in pews, reduced to 100 by 1980. There were no rooms besides the chapel which was closed in 1990 and was in residential use in 2016

A plain but attractive structure built of rough masonry and ashlar quoins and dressings. The windows and the door in the centre of the front gable are in an early gothic style.

Sources

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM/11/32

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM/11/53

Site visit, 7th February 2016

Huggon, John, Carlisle Methodism, Parts 3, Cumbria Wesley Historical Society, spring 2015

West Hall WM Chapel, from west, 7.2.2016
G W Oxley
West Hall WM Chapel, date plaque, 7.2.2016
G W Oxley
West Hall WM Chapel, from south, 7.2.2016
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone