Ellenborough/Netherton* WM Chapel, Cumberland
Grid Ref NY044361
Approval for the construction of a chapel containing 176 sittings and expected to cost £610 was granted in 1890/91.The chapel was built in 1892 and the Architect was Charles Eaglesfield of Maryport. It stood at the junction of Old Road and James Street the chapel gable and main entrance facing Old Road. The chapel itself measured 43½ feet by 29½feet. It had passages at the front and both sides enclosed by walls and railings. To the rear was the schoolroom which extended the full width od the site and was lighted by windows facing a rear yard. The front gable had large early English style window above a single story porch which had a doorway leading to two inner doors at the heads of the aisles which divided up the three blocks of pews. The pulpit and sanctuary were opposite the entrance. The chapel was heated by a stove at the rear of one of the side blocks of pews. There was a vestry at the back of one of the outside passages with its own entrance and doorway into the chapel. At the rear of the other outside passage was a porch giving access to the school room.
In 1940 the chapel had 176 sittings in pews and there were two other rooms. Electric lighting costing £154 was installed in 1947-8. The chapel was closed between 1980 and 1991. In September 2014 the site had been cleared and houses were under construction.
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle SRDC3/2/33
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle SRDC3/2/7, boiler house, 1907
Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974
Carlisle Library, 1A287 Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Site visit September 2014