Kirkoswald, Main Street chapel was built in 1871 at a cost of £1094. In 1873 it had 242 sittings. By 1940 there were 250 sittings in pews and there was a school hall. A new heating system, costing £375, was installed in 1972-3. By 1980 the number of sittings in the chapel had been reduced to 200 and to 50 by 1991 when there were three other rooms. The building remains in use as a Methodist place of worship.
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917
DFCM4/1/8 Return of all chapels and preaching places in the circuit, 1873
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Site visit 24.02.2018