In 1826 an application was made to the Chapel Committee for permission to build a chapel costing £350, which was duly erected in 1827. In 1850 it had 265 free seats, 162 other seats and no standing room. A map of 1859 shows that by then the building consisted of three structures, a larger central and two smaller side buildings. Later evidence suggests that the westerly building was erected in 1836. The central and eastern side structures seem to have been demolished to make way for the new chapel in the early 1870s since in 1873 a rented preaching place seating 170 was being used.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD58 Applications to the Chapels Committee for permission to build, extend or sell Chapels, 1817 – 1830 No.379
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/564/1/10
OS 25 inch sheet Cumberland XLII , 1859-61 and 1898-9
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873/594.