Ainstable WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY526464

Ainstable Chapel and the adjoining vestry were built in 1860 at a cost of £272. It was designed by Isaac Morland and opened on 31 May 1861. In 1873 it had 125 sittings. By 1940 there were 130 sittings in pews and there was a school hall and one other room. By 1981 there were 140 sittings. It was in use as a Methodist Place of Worship in June 2015. (Wesleyan seating returns; Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM/1/2/82-97, DFCM3/1/43-62, DFCM/4/1/17; Carlisle Library 1A287, Anniversary Brochure, 1861-1986; site visit 21.06.2015)

Ainstable WM Chapel from northwest, 21.06.2015
G W Oxley
Ainstable WM Chapel fron southeast, 21.06.2015
G W Oxley
Ainstable WM Chapel, date plaque , 21.06.2015
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone