Mawbray, Holme Street WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY 087466

Mawbray Chapel was built of stone in 1843 at a cost of £150. It measured 32 feet by 21 feet In 1851 it provided 180 free and 16 other sittings and was also used as a Sunday school. There were 140 sittings in 1873. In 1940 the chapel had 130 sittings in pews and there were no other rooms. There were 100 sittings in 1980 and 1991. It has now been closed and is in residential use. 

Sources

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

The National Archives HO129/569/2/3 1851 census of religious worship

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM9/86/2

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/20 circuit amalgamation papers, 1940

Site visit 8th May 2016

Mawbray WM Chapel, facade 8.5.2016
G W Oxley
Mawbray WM Chapel, porch and date plaque, 8.5.2016
G W Oxley
Mawbray WM Chapel from west 8.5.2016
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *