Proposals for the construction of a mission hall in the Fisher Street site at a cost of £21,000 were approved in 1921-2. The scheme which included a Sunday school, vestries etc. was completed in 1925-6 for £28,610.0.0. Central Hall was built of brick and stone in 1923 on the site of the old Wesleyan chapel in Fisher Street. In 1940 it had 750 sittings on chairs and there was a schoolroom and eleven other rooms. By 1980 the sittings had been reduced to 539 and there were only two other rooms. Central Hall was closed in 2005 and in January 2015 remained empty pending redevelopment.
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, CA/4/14811, 14935 & 6 building byelaw plans
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1920-32
Huggon, John, Carlisle Methodism, Part 3, Cumbria Wesley Historical Society, 75, Spring 2015, p10 -11