The first chapel in Fisher Street was occupied by the Wesleyans from 1786 to 1817 and subsequently let to the Baptists.
A new chapel seating 1200 was built on nearby site in 1817 at a cost of £2000. A powerful and handsome organ built by Mr Richardson of Rochdale was inaugurated on 21 October 1838. In 1851 the chapel had 200 free and 800 other sittings. In 1873 the number of sittings had fallen to 770. By 1862 the entire Fisher Street estate consisting of two chapels, a school and some houses had cost about £6000. A further £300 was spent on improvements in 1875. In 1879/80 approval was granted for the construction of a school room at a cost of £940. It was opened on 1885/6. Further alterations were approved in 1894/5.
Carlisle Journal, 20.10.1938; P&W
The National Archives HO129/568/3/3 census of religious worship
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM/1/2/83-97 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM3/1/43-63 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99
Wesleyan seating returns 1873)
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle CA/4/1748 Building bye law plans