The Chapel was built of brick in 1845 at a cost of £53. Further expenditure was incurred in 1864 and 1868 bringing the total to £147.15.10 . In 1851 all the sittings were free but the number was not stated. In 1873 there were 72 lettable and 50 free sittings. By 1881 the free sittings had been reduced to 36. This was still the case in 1891 but by 1901 there no lettable and 92 free seats. The chapel was renovated, inside and out in 1893. In 1906 it had to be closed because it was “unsuitable for public worship and meetings” and services were moved to the village hall. It reopened in 1909 after repairs costing £80.15.0 had been carried out. In 1940 it had 80 sittings on forms. It was probably closed when the new church opened in 1967. It has not been possible to identify an existing building which can be convincingly identified with the chapel building.
The National Archives HO129/170/3/8 1851 census of religious worship
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82 – 97
DFCM3/1/43 – 62
Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM1/1/32-4
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940
Site visit 30.9.2017